Saturday, June 7, 2008

A STUDENT TO HIS TEACHER

This anonymous write up is meant to give every teacher the chance to hear out his/her student. I invite you to listen to what this student has to say to his teacher because I believe this is exactly what your students want to tell you.


Try to be a human being and not just a teaching machine.

Help me to learn to think and to judge by myself, not only to memorize ready-made answers.
Help me rather to find the answers myself, though this may be more painful for both you and me.

Listen to the questions that I may seriously ask however foolish they may sound to you. If you can listen, I might learn to listen too.

Do not teach only a subject, but rather, teach us --- students.

Do not expect of me what is beyond my talent or power and give me some encouragement from time to time.

Be strict enough with me provided you are just. I know that I need it, though outwardly I may rebel against it.

Please keep studying yourself and do not mechanically use in class the same yellowed notes which you wrote some ten years ago.

Do not judge me only in the marks which I get from the tests but rather by the effort I make.

Do not expect that I like the subject you are teaching best of all. Other subjects may be interesting too and perhaps even more so, at least with me.

Do not ridicule me, especially not before my classmates. It hurts and it will turn me against you. An earnest but kind word in private will be more effective.

Do not expect a word of thanks every so ofetn. I am grateful alright, but I find it difficult to express my gratitude in words.

Do not pity me, especially not in front of others if I do not succeed so well. Pity can be so embarrassing.

Do not point out another student in class as an example to me. I might hate him... and you... for it.

And if I happen to do well, do not point me out as an example to others. It would embarrass me very much. But an occasional deserved word of acknowledgement is most welcome.

Keep your personal problems and political ideas to yourself. I cannot solve or judge them anyway.

let me feel that you are interested in me as a human being and not just a name in your record book.

Remember that once upon a time you were a student yourself. Did you always get the best marks? And did you never forget a thing?

1 comment:

sansu said...

elo monch!thanks for the article.it reminded me of Champagnat's message that "in order to educate the youth, you must love them." sometimes we are too busy perfecting our craft that we forget to listen and talk to them.our mission is not only to teach them but to touch their lives thru our lessons.