Thursday, March 27, 2008

KINDERGARTEN LESSONS

It’s summer time (at least here in the Philippines)! Now is the time when teachers go over their pile of papers to check and sort out materials that were stuck there for months, long forgotten.

Going over my own, I saw this handout entitled I Learned It All in Kindergarten. As I went over it, I was reminded that though often I consider life as a journey of never-ending learning, the greatest lessons in this life, most of what I really need to know about how to live and how to bring out the best in it, I actually learned in Kindergarten.

These lessons were:
  • Share what you have with others.
  • Don’t take things that are not yours.
  • Don’t cheat.
  • Don’t tell a lie.
  • Don’t hit others.
  • Say you’re sorry when you hurt someone.
  • Say I love you to your daddy and mommy.
  • Put things back where you found them.
  • Clean up your own mess.
  • Wash your hands before you eat.
  • Don’t forget to eat your vegetables and fruits.
  • Take a nap in the afternoon.
  • Draw, sing, dance, and study every day.
  • Pray before you sleep.
More than what the article wants to impart to its readers, it also has a truly significant message for us, teachers. This simply emphasizes the significance of education and educators in shaping the world because, whether we like it or like it a lot, we, teachers, mold the way people think and behave. Early childhood educators equip young minds with the very foundation by which they build their very own set of beliefs, values and inherent priorities which they need in facing and overcoming life’s challenges ahead.

No comments: